Thursday, November 15, 2007

I figure its a good time to start a blog since I'm in the off-season right now.  I'm taking a necessary break from formal training after doing two ironmans (Canada and Hawaii) in 7 weeks.  That was pretty brutal, but worth every minute of pain.  Two great races, and two amazing, yet different experiences.

Now, as I have a slightly more clear mind, I'm sitting down to map out next season.  The race I want to start with is Ironman 70.3 Oceanside.  However, I just found out it is full already- sold out in record time.  I'm really bummed as I really enjoyed that race in 2006 and its one race Justin doesn't mind as much since he gets to see family and friends in San Diego.  Plus it will be the first ever triathlon for one of the guys I'm coaching.  I may still try to go down to watch and support him, but really wish I could race as well.  I was hoping to use it as a qualifier for the 70.3 World Championships, but I heard that the drafting issue was terrible again at this year's race (held last weekend in Clearwater, FL).  I saw this problem first-hand at the inaugural race in 2006, but it sounded like they were taking big steps toward preventing/discouraging this for 2007.  Apparently not.  Now I don't even want to go to World's until this problem is handled.  I find it surprising because every other 70.3 race I've done has been such a great experience.

I also heard all North American Ironmans are sold out for 2008 as is Vineman 70.3 in California.  Our sport is growing so fast that its getting harder and harder to get into races.  I need to start planning my 2009 season now in hopes of getting into these big races.  But its hard to plan life so far away.  Plus, 2009 will have a big Europe trip as the next Outgames are in Copenhagen that summer.

As far as competing in 2008, I'm only sure about racing 70.3 Lake Stevens, a local race, in July. We have a great trip to Italy planned in early June so that rules out a lot of May and June triathlons for me. Don't worry, I'm not complaining- I'm very excited for Italy.  I just need to do more research to see if I can find other good races in April and later in the summer.

No comments: