Saturday, July 3, 2010

2009 summary

I think FB has kept me from thinking to keep up my blog, but I realize it's not the same. I try to keep my FB posts brief, funny, or relative. I don't like to discuss my athletic "feats of strength" on it so I'm coming back to my blog finally.

I only raced one triathlon in 2009: Ironman 70.3 California, in Oceanside. I was 100th overall in 4:39, and 16th in my AG. Then my plan was to switch back to full-time running to get ready for the World Outagames in Copenhagen. I think the deep sand portion of the triathlon took a toll on my calves and in my first hard running workout my calves seized and cramped. I couldn't run for weeks. I gradually started some slow, easy runs but no speed work. The pool at my gym doesn't have a deep end so I had to wait until the lake warmed up to do some deep water running. Finally in late June I was able to do a couple of faster workouts but on the July 4th weekend I felt my calf start to tear again so I had to take it easy again and only go fast in the lake.

In late July we (along with Justin and my Mom) flew to Europe. I was signed up for an ambitious week of track events. I decided to wear my racing flats instead of track spikes to reduce the strain to my calves. Day one of track for me was the 800 meter qualifying round followed an hour later by the 5000m final. I stayed fairly relaxed in my 800 heat and ran 2:14 I think and qualified for the final which would be the following day. I really felt my lack of fitness in the 5000 m but still managed 2nd in my AG, and a silver medal. Luckily, my calves felt completely fine for both races.

I was nervous for the 800 m final the next day but also excited as it seemed to be the most competitive race of the meet. My heart was pounding as the gun went off. After the first turn we broke for the inside and I was fairly well positioned in 3rd. The pace was solid but not crazy. I think we went through the 400 m in 2:04 but I can't remember exactly. The leader was then slowing down and no one wanted to take the lead. We also hit a big headwind on the final backstretch with 300 m to go. A Dutchman then made a hard move into the lead and my teammate, Steven, and I went after him. The pace kept increasing and I stayed right on the shoulders of the first two guys leading into the last turn. As the turn became the homestretch I drove my arms hard, lifted my knees and gave it everything I had hoping my calves would hold and my top speed was better than everyone else's. It turned out to be enough and I got my first gold of the games, again with no calf pain. Adrenaline is a wonder drug.

The third and last day of track included the 1500 m and the 4x400 relay for me. The 1500 m was a good effort and I beat a guy who was running his 4th or 5th event and was getting tired. I took the lead at 600 m and held on until the end. 2nd gold. With just one event left, I decided to finally wear my spikes. It felt so good to to do warm up strides in them- even though my legs were getting tired, I love th feeling of track spikes: light but with great traction. Several age groups were combined into the first, fast heat. Our first three legs ran great but we were about 8 seconds down on the top team. I made up a little ground but a 55 sec anchor wasn't enough.

I was thrilled I was able to run all my events and we had a blast visiting Denmark. It was a great week and fun to see Mom revisit 20 years after she and her Mom traveled to Copenhagen.

After returning home I tried to get ready for cross country but I only ran one or two races and I was fairly slow. We had a couple trips planned that would conflict with other races so I decided to end my season.

We had great little trips to San Diego for an early Thanksgiving, Vancouver for the actual holiday, and then a long weekend in NYC. As well as a few weekends in Whistler for a beautiful fall.

In December I gradually started triathlon training again. This was interrupted slightly as our big kitchen/basement remodel started and we moved into a little condo on December.

No comments: