Friday, August 8, 2008

Trying to be better...


I tried my new Garmin 405 GPS watch yesterday for just the second time (the race was the first time). I just went for a nice run along the Burke Gilman bike trail. I decided to run 7 miles and used the watch to turn around at 3.5 mi. There are quite a few trees along the trail and I think that made the instantaneous speed less accurate, but I think the distance is dead on. After the run was done it said my average pace was 7:06/mile which I'm pretty sure is right, but during the run it would jump all over the place from 6:30 to 8:00 min/mile. It did get close the 7:00 mark when I was out in the open, without many trees. Its kind of a bummer though as the instantaneous speed is a neat feature. But since the distance seems to be right on, you can do some quick math with the time to calculate pace. All in all, still really glad I got it. Today I figured out how to upload the info into the Garmin software on the computer and it showed me on a map exactly where I ran in seattle, plus gave me the info I already knew: pace, time, distance. But its nice that it stores it, you can label that workout, and then I can be lazy and not write down in my log all the info because its stored on the computer. I still like my written log, but I don't have to worry about getting it all written down before erasing it from the watch now.

1 comment:

M said...

Jake, what a super cool sounding watch! But don't get that thing near me. I would hate to know how slow I went per mile on my run just now.