Thursday, September 4, 2008

August recap


I drove up to Penticton, B.C. to watch Ironman Canada and help coach two of my athletes: Mari and Steve, as well as cheer on good friends such as Aaron Burby and Loree Bolin. Everyone had solid races and they all set personal records (it was Mari's first ironman).

It was fun as always to be at that amazing race. It is one of the oldest ironmans and continues to have fantastic community support. People kept asking me if I wished I was racing it....there were moments, yes, but on the whole, I'm still glad to not be doing an ironman this year. And still not planning on one in 2009 either. I will do at least one 70.3 (Oceanside) in the spring, and then focus on track racing in the summer with the goal of being fit at the next World Outgames in Copenhagen in early August.

Last weekend Justin and I took Jackson up to Whistler for the long weekend. We had a great weekend of relaxing, running, and hiking. We tried to play tennis one day but the rain said "no."

My running seems to be coming along- still love my Garmin 405 watch and feel it makes me run faster than I would without it. Last night at the wednesday track workout (my 2nd week back) I ran with Group 2a which was challenging. We ran a fartlek and I stayed right with the group for the first 3 intervals but then trailed off a little for the last 4. I kept them close and quickly caught up each time on the recovery period. I'm glad I did run with them as I think I wouldn't have pushed as hard with group 3.

I'm excited to start racing but glad I have another week before the first race. I really hope to be sharp when I go to Penn State in October to run on an alumni team in their home meet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear you are running with 2A again. You always keep the pace honest.