Sunday, January 6, 2008


Well, I didn't spin like I was supposed to today, because Justin and I went up to Steven's Pass to snowboard. They've gotten a lot of snow over the last week and we had a great day of riding. Some light flurries were coming down but we had some periods of sun which were great. I've struggled with snowboarding over the last 6 years-- I don't think it helped that I would just go 1-2x/season. Last season we went three times and finally bought my own gear at the end of the season that was all on sale. Today was probably the best day I've had. I felt a lot better about my turns and spent a lot less time on my bum. I declared my second to last run my best and thought about stopping but Justin was up for one more run. This run was going great for me too until I caught an edge near the bottom and landed really hard on my tailbone. Due to the force I was thinking there was potential for a fracture. I just laid there and the pain got really intense after a few seconds and lasted about 30 seconds. I was afraid to move and wasn't quite sure how I would get down if the pain didn't subside. I really didn't want ski patrol to have to come take me down on the stretcher. Fortunately, the pain then eased and I gingerly got back up. Needless to say, the last bit of the run was much slower and cautious than I had been all day. Not the way I would have liked to end the day, but very grateful to be in one piece and headed toward my car and not the ambulance. 5 hours later and I'm still not sore over my sacrum so I'm hopeful I really didn't hurt anything. I feel a little guilty for not cycling but I'm glad we got up to the mountain. This Alaskan needs his snow fix!

No comments: